- Watermelons are store houses of vitamins. These vitamins are very essential to maintain the health of body tissues. Organs like skin, Eyes, bones and brain are benefited when this fruit is consumed.
- Researchers and scientists say that the water melon is a rich source of an amino acid called citrulline. Citrulline gets converted to arginine. Arginine is a precursor for nitric oxide which dilates blood vessels. Thus dilated blood vessels increase blood flow to injured tissues and hasten the healing process. This property also helps men who suffer from erectile dysfunction. Men who suffer from erectile dysfunction are benefited by regular consumption of this fruit.
- The juicy melons are rich in potassium. Potassium helps to control blood pressure. As there is a link between erectile dysfunction and blood pressure, men are doubly benefited by use of this fruit. Thus watermelon can be best natural remedy for erectile dysfunction.
- The rich dietary fiber content in this fruit help in relieving the constipation. The soluble fibers aid in reduction of blood cholesterol. A plateful of Watermelon chunks can be used as desert and as well as herbal remedy for constipation.
- Antioxidants are another treasure which we can harness from this fruit. These antioxidants lend a hand in preventing cancer.
- Watermelon reduces acidity and provides alkaline environment to body tissues.
Home remedies with watermelon
- In summer drink a glass of watermelon juice daily with a dash of salt. This quenches thirsts, replenishes water and salts which we have lost through sweat. Thus maintains water electrolyte balance.
- Eat a bowl full of watermelon pulp before break-fast and lunch. The fiber content of this fruit fills the stomach and satiates hunger signals. Thus the consumption of regular diet reduces and helps towards achieving weight loss.
- Wash the face thoroughly with soap or face wash. Pat dry skin and apply watermelon juice evenly on skin. Wash it off after 20 minutes. The beneficial constituents of watermelon help to close skin pores, heal acne- pimples and repair skin which is damaged due to sunrays. The juice tightens the skin and makes it wrinkle free. Why can’t you try this beneficial herbal face pack often?
Fun Facts about Watermelon
• The first recorded watermelon harvest occurred nearly 5,000 years ago in Egypt.
• Over 1,200 varieties of watermelons are grown worldwide in 96 countries.
• In some Mediterranean countries, the taste of watermelon is paired with the salty taste of feta cheese.
• Watermelon is 92% water.
• Watermelon’s official name is Citrullus Lanatus of the botanical family Curcurbitaceae. It is cousins to cucumbers, pumpkins and squash.
• By weight, watermelon is the most-consumed melon in the U.S., followed by cantaloupe and honeydew.
• Early explorers used watermelons as canteens.
• The first cookbook published in the U.S. in 1796 contained a recipe for watermelon rind pickles.
• In 1990, Bill Carson of Arrington, TN grew the largest watermelon at 262 pounds that is still on the record books (1998 ed. Guinness Book of World Records).
• Watermelon has no fat or cholesterol and is an excellent source of vitamins A, B6 and C and contains fiber and potassium.
• There is new research to suggest that the lycopene in watermelon may actually protect us from sunburn and sun damage – who knew?
Some quick history from the Board:
Watermelon is thought to have originated in the Kalahari Desert of Africa. The first recorded watermelon harvest occurred nearly 5,000 years ago in Egypt and is depicted in Egyptian hieroglyphics on walls of their ancient buildings. Watermelons were often placed in the burial tombs of kings to nourish them in the afterlife.
From there, watermelons spread throughout countries along the Mediterranean Sea by way of merchant ships. By the 10th century, watermelon found its way to China, which is now the world’s number one producer of watermelons.
The 13th century found watermelon spread through the rest of Europe via the Moors.
Southern food historian, John Egerton, believes watermelon made its way to the United States with African slaves as he states in his book, “Southern Food.”
The United States currently ranks fourth in worldwide production of watermelon. Forty-four states grow watermelons with Florida, Texas, California, Georgia and Arizona consistently leading the country in production.
How to choose the best watermelon – from the Board:
They say it’s as easy as 1, 2, 3:
1. Look the watermelon over.
You are looking for a firm, symmetrical watermelon that is free from bruises, cuts or dents.
2. Lift it up.
The watermelon should be heavy for its size. Watermelon is 92% water, most of the weight is water.
3. Turn it over.
The underside of the watermelon should have a creamy yellow spot from where it sat on the ground and ripened in the sun.
Source : http://www.ayurhelp.com/articles/juicy-watermelons-good-health